Ref NoNU.1
TitleBRIDPORT UNITARIAN CHURCH.
Date1720-1977
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryIt is likely that the first congregational meetings took place following the ejection of the Revd John Eaton from the Anglican church in Bridport in 1662. Eaton left Bridport in 1665 and it is probable that the Revd Joseph Hallett continued to preach privately in the area. A house belonging to Mr Golding was licensed by the Revd Richard Downe in 1672 and was gradually altered to a Congregational chapel. This was situated in Stake Lane [Barrack Street]. In 1742 the minister and majority of the meeting adopted the Unitarian theology but not before 200 left to form a Congregational chapel [For the records of the Bridport Congregational church see the catalogue NP.15]. In 1794 the present Unitarian chapel was built in East Street, on the site of the Crown Inn.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020