Ref NoNP.22
DateEarly 19th Cent. - 1961
AdminHistoryThe chapel was formed in 1662 following the ejection of the Revd Robert Bartlett from his benefice at Over Compton. Though he moved to Bradford Abbas and later North Cadbury he preached to a large congregation at Over Compton in 1669. In 1672 there was a license granted for a congregational chapel at Over Compton, this named Bartlett as the minister. In 1688 he returned to Nether Compton to preach. This chapel was pulled down in the eighteenth century following the expiry of the lease. In 1753 a new chapel was built near the Half Way House Public Inn. By the 1840s, due to a falling roll and the growth of Methodism in the area, they were no longer able to maintain a minister at the chapel so instead students from the Yeovil academy were invited to preach; later ministers from Illchester, Sherborne and Yeovil.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020