Ref NoNP.14
TitlePOKESDOWN AND BOSCOMBE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH.
Date1856-2001
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryThe Pokesdown church was founded around 1820 when a weekly evening prayer meeting took place in the cottage of Mr Burt, led by members of the Christchurch Congregational Church. Meetings then took place at the cottage of Mr J Troke. In 1834 the first chapel was built and in the following year a Sunday School was started and soon after a week-day school. In 1858 a new chapel was built, which was enlarged in 1869. In 1870 it was decided to separate from Christchurch Church and form an independent chapel. The church was further enlarged in 1895. For some records prior to 1870 see the Christchurch Congregational Church records (reference: NP4). In 1972, Pokesdown Congregational Church changed its name to Pokesdown United Reformed Church. In 1985, Boscombe United Reformed Church closed and joined Pokesdown United Reformed Church. The new church was named Pokesdown and Boscombe United Reformed Church.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019