Ref NoNM-2/S/11
TitleDORCHESTER METHODIST CHURCH.
LevelSub-Sub-Fonds
AdminHistoryIn 1825 a building belonging to Mr R Rumsey in the Bullstake [North Square] was used as a place of worship. In 1840 a church was built in Durngate Street. In the 1870s a new site was purchased on the corner of Durngate Street and South Street. This included the Wood and Stone Inn. The new chapel opened in 1875. Extensive work was carried out on the church between 1959-1966. The church amalgamated with the United Reformed Church, South Street in 1979, to form the United Church of Dorchester. The records can be found separately (see NM2/S/12). The Methodist Church was demolished in 1981. There was also a Primitive Methodist Church in Durngate Street which was built in 1875. It was closed in 1932 when the Weslyan and Primitive Methodist Church amalgamated. It is now the Salvation Army Hall..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019