Ref NoD-PAR
TitlePARSONS OF DORCHESTER, TOBACCONIST AND HAIRDRESSER.
Date1853 - 1986
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryIn 1906 Arthur Parsons opened a gentlemen's hairdressing salon at 35 Great Western Road, Dorchester in which his brother, Walter Charles Leonard Parsons, worked part-time. By 1913 W C L Parsons had taken over the business from his brother. W C L Parsons (sometimes named Len Parsons) spent time as a prisoner of war in Germany during the First World War. In 1919 W C L Parsons re-opened the business after the war and in the early 1920s developed the premises to include a ladies' hairdressing salon. In 1931 W C L Parsons leased 32-32a South Street, Dorchester, from Messrs Tilley for use as a tobacconists which he finally bought from Stringer Motors Ltd in 1971. In 1936 he bought 3 Cornhill from Thomas Pouncy for use as a tobacconists which in 1937 was altered to accommodate a ladies' and gentlemen's hairdressing salon and in 1960-1961 was further extended and rebuilt. In 1955 the business was registered as a limited company with W C L Parsons, his two sons, Roy L Parsons and Alan R Parsons, and his wife Aricia Nino Parsons acting directors. 35 Great Western Road closed for trading in 1973 and was conveyed by Alan R Parsons to Mr and Mrs B H Rogers in 1986. W C L Parsons died in 1974. 3 Cornhill was sold in 1979 for use by Abbey National building society. As an interesting aside W C L Parsons was one of the few foreign nationals in October 1938 to attend the World's Congress of Hairdressers Conference held in Cologne, Germany in the wake of the Munich crisis and the possible threat of war..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020