Ref NoD-BEM/H
TitleBEAMINSTER CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
Date1747-1994
LevelSub-Fonds
AdminHistoryIn 1660 the Revd J Torner was removed from the mother Anglican parish church at Netherbury. By 1662 a Presbyterian congregation had been founded in Beaminster, led by another ejected minister the Revd Thomas Crane, formerly of Rampisham parish. The congregation met at the houses of Crane and Lancelot Cox. In 1672 the Declaration of Indulgence records that Presbyterian meetings took place at Cox's house, in the room under the market place and the house of John Locke in East Street. By the 1740s Locke's house and tannery was being used by the congregation and in 1749 a new chapel was built on the site of the tannery. It survived the Beaminster fire of 1781, though `An awful visitation of Divine providence to the Town destroyed the writings, and other Records belonging to them, then in the care of the late James Daniel, Gent. Many particulars of their History, both useful and interesting, are, of course, irrecoverably lost.'D/BEM: H2/1/1 p.4. In 1798 the church reformed as a Congregational church. The Church was enlarged in 1825. It appears that the congregation failed briefly in the early 1860s, reforming in 1863. The last service took place in 1990. The building was later converted to house the Beaminster Museum..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019